Re: '77 MGB Water Pump failure

To: map@ntc.adaptec.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '77 MGB Water Pump failure
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:24:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/00 9:22:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
map@ntc.adaptec.com writes:

<< When I looked at it, I discovered
 the fan belt was broken and coolant was leaking from the bottom of the water
 pump. I tried turning the pump by hand and it spun freely. I suspect that
 the water pump may have frozen causing the belt to snap, but that doesn't
 explain why it now spins freely (unless something snapped in the pump at the
 same time the belt snapped). I have ordered a new pump, but was curious if I
 should be concerned about anything more major being amiss. The engine starts
 and runs fine. >>

Nope.  Sounds like the pump bearings bit the dust.  There is nothing else
connected to the water pump.  It is just turned by the fan belt.

Note, when you put the new pump and belt on, don't overtighten the belt.
That is a prime cause of water pump bearing failure.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport