Re: OFF TOPIC-Semantics

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>, Davhill@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC-Semantics
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:55:18 -0400
I'm not the medical doctor doctor but I did teach anatomy & physiology for
a number of years. As a descriptor of the human condition, it is a
statistical term used to describe someone based on a body mass index (BMI)
which is colloqually about 30% overweight (if I remember the percentage
correctly).

Obesity is defined by a body-mass index (weight divided by square of the
height) of 30 kg m(-2) or greater than expected for some "average" given an
individual's size, body type & age. An obese person is not just heavy but
is heavy to a particular degree greater than the definition of overweight.

I retrieved this from the US National Library of Medicine
TITLE:                       The epidemiology of obesity.
  AUTHOR:                     James WP
  AUTHOR AFFILIATION:         Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK.
  SOURCE:                     Ciba Found Symp 1996;201:1-11; discussion
11-6, 32-6
  CITATION IDS:               PMID: 9017271 UI: 97169723
  ABSTRACT:
     An agreed definition of obesity as a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2
or more seems to be accepted everywhere except in North America. Recent
data confirm the importance of setting an upper individual BMI limit of 25
kg/m2 and a population optimum of 20-23 kg/m2. Some adjustment of BMI
should be made in individuals and populations with disproportionate shapes,
e.g. short or long legs, and morbidity and mortality risks are especially
important in those with a waist measurement of about 102 cm or more, the
risk increasing from 88 cm. Waist measurements should probably now be
substituted for the waist/hip circumference ratio.

Do you need more?

Bill
'76B