Re: OFF TOPIC-Semantics

To: Davhill@btinternet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC-Semantics
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:21:14 EDT
In a message dated 08/03/2000 5:28:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Davhill@btinternet.com writes:

<< Grateful thanks to all of you for writing back about this.

 For those who wanted to know, it's to do with the final part of my psych
 Master's statistics course. I have to write a critical review of a paper
 about weight loss maintenance (Klem et al, 1996, for the scientists among
 you).

 There has been some discussion about the usage of words about weight, like
 'normal', 'natural' and 'obese'. The main topic has concerned whether
 'obese' is derogatory and ethically unsound, or an acceptable clinical term.
 Since the paper is from the US, asking Americans about the day-to-day use of
 the word gives me an informed idea about whether it's use would have upset
 the overweight participants, even in the clinical setting.

 It appears that the term is used in much the same way as in the UK, i.e.
 more in the clinical sense than in common use, and more as a descriptive
 term than an insult.

 The question is therefore answered and you might have scored an extra mark
 or two for me.  >>

Cool!!  You mean, we get PAID for this research?!?  (He said, hopefully.)  :-)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport