Re: Differences with Aluminum head

To: "Dereck C" <derex39@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Differences with Aluminum head
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 12:36:29 -0600 (MDT)
I have the same head and had the same problem.  You did the right thing
by using the course threads.

As far as the plugs go, they should be the same size.

I took my head in and had heli-coils installed in the manifold stud
holes and the spark plug holes.  I also had them make sure the head was
flat.  It was a little tiny bit off, so they milled it for me.  The
coils make it much harder to cross thread the bolts/plugs, and make the
holes stronger.  It cost me about $90 to have it milled and coiled.  If
you don't have that done, then make sure you use anti-sieze compound on
the studs.

On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:34:42 GMT, Dereck C wrote:

>Today while assembling the B I ran into a few snags (imagine that).  I have
>an aluminum standard head from Northwest Imports (can't find their email
>address) whose threads seem to be different from stock.  The manifold
>threads are coarse instead of fine and the spark plugs from the old head do
>not seem to fit in the aluminum head.  I resolved the manifold problem by
>running a coarse thread into the hole and finding a set of matching studs at
>the local parts store.  Tomorrow morning I want to run and get plugs but I
>don't know what size to get or how to messure any ideas or experience in
>this situation?  What are the plug numbers to look for?  I was thinking of
>NGK's.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dereck

Andrew Lundgren