Gearbox oil (was OD)

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox oil (was OD)
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:23:47 -0700
I have been mostly lurking on the digest version. Here is another
opinion I've not seen (recently anyway) re: gearbox oil in MGs.

There has been a lot of discussion about this same subject on my
Motorcycle list. Many motorcycles use the same sump for engine &
gearbox. In days gone by it was standard practice to use automobile
oil for motorcycles. Currently, due to changes in auto oil chemistry
(in attempts to improve fuel mileage), the recommendation is to spend
the extra money for motorcycle specific oil. It is alleged that
current auto oil has drastically reduced zinc content and this is
needed for better protection in the gearbox. Also, motorcycle oils
claim higher shear strength, alleged to be needed due to the meshing
action of the gears.

Dino motorcycle oil retails for about $2.00 - $4.00 per quart,
Synthetic motorcycle oil is $8.00 - $10.00 per quart.

Sooo... I use motorcycle oil in my '81 Honda motorcycle. In the good
old days I used engine (auto) oil in my MGA.  When I get my 'A back on
the road, I plan to use motorcycle oil in the gearbox.

Sorry to add to the oil discussion!

Eric
'61 MGA