Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:39:04 EDT
In a message dated 10/18/00 4:34:42 PM, bkrueger@ici.net writes:

<<  Indeed, if you know what you're looking for, you can gain
the same intelligence from a voltmeter (connected in parallel). >>

I don't think it's precisely the same intelligence -- as I understand how
"smoke" gets measured, the voltmeter tells you the potential, translated, the
condition of the battery plus charger. If it starts to drop, then that's bad
and if it gets below 13, you're in big trouble.  It tells you the level, but
not the rate of change. The ammeter tells you the rate of change.  When it
drops below positive and stays there, then you aren't in trouble yet, but
you're going to be.  I kind of like both, and have installed aftermarket
Smith's gauges in my Healey and find them to be very comforting.

Cheers
Gary Anderson
editor, British Car Magazine