Re: Tools

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tools
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 18:26:23 -0500
Barney et al.,

I think you're right. I've gone through two Craftsman 3/8" ratchet
wrenches in the last three years. The appearance quality of the two
1/2" socket sets and wrenches I got for Christmas last year (one
Husky, the other Craftsman) are so bad that I'm almost scared to use
them. The local Sears outlet is a living nightmare to deal with. It's
just not worth it. Plus, it's not like nothing else bad happens at
the moment that it breaks. My time and knuckles and sanity are worth
paying the extra for really good tools. Now if I cold only find some
_old_ Craftsmen tools.

Jeff

> Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com> writes:
> >
> > My Craftsman tools have served me well for nearly 40 years ....
>
>Well, I'm inclined to believe that they really don't make them like they
>used to.  And I am very happy to own one of the older ones.  My 1/2" drive
>Craftsman socket set is only 32 years old, but has been constantly abused
>in ways most folks wouldn't want to talk about in public.  I often use a
>1/2 to 3/4 drive adapter to mount a larger socket, sometimes up to 2" size.
> Then I may proceed to haul on the 1/2" drive ratchet with a pipe extension
>2 to 3 feet long on the handle.  Otherwise I often beat on the handle of
>the ratchet with a two pound hammer to loosen stubborn fasteners.  It now
>bears about a thousand dings and dimples in the handle to bear witness to
>its noble service and abuse.  Through all this it has never skipped a tooth
>or missed a click.  Somehow I don't think the new models would fare as well.
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude
>    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu