RE: Brake Calipers Binding

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Calipers Binding
From: "hjillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:19:56 -0600
The pistons should come out until the pads are in contact with the rotor, and
drag a little as the wheel turns, but should not bind or lock up the wheel when
the brakes are released.
You didn't mention what kind of brake fluid you used.  There used to be a
situation with rebuilt units using ( I think) natural rubber seals having a
problem with DOT 5 fluids.  Apparently there are some seal swelling agents the
cause the seals to swell too much so that the bleed back port doesn't get
opened when the piston in the MC returns and doesn't let the pressure off.  The
used to be a write-up on this on John Twists web site, but I don't think you
can get to it anymore.
Harlan