Re: MGs at Adelaide LeMans Series

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGs at Adelaide LeMans Series
From: "Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:03:27 +1030
> >You may assume that I am a tad grumpy about this.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Richard
>
> Yikes, Richard, take a deep breath.
>
> I bet Panoz would have loved to have television coverage.  I'm not sure
how it works down there but here in the US the organizer has
> no control over TV stations.  The TV stations televise what they think
they can sell to advertisers.

> Larry Hoy

Under normal circumstances, you would be right Larry. However, in this
case, we have an organiser (Panoz) that has approached a govt, to tie up a
sizable part of the city centre for nearly two weeks. Panoz have also made
a deal with the govt to manufacture their cars in this city. Our precious
govt is jumping through hoops for Panoz. There is a lot of money and a lot
of power being wielded here and we have a long history of running
international races on this track, all with full coverage. The television
stations all know that if you run a major race here in Adelaide, the
station televising that race wins the ratings very, very easily. Everyone
stops to watch the race, and this race has had a big build up. The local tv
stations are all showing old movie repeats today, apart from the ABC which
has the Hopmann Cup - not a competitor. The TV stations would have been
queuing up to televise this.
Someone does not understand the market they have here and in treating us
the way they have, have knocked a huge dent in the very thing that makes
this sort of event viable in a place like Adelaide - public acceptance.
Next year, they can go jump for what I care. The decision not to televise
this race today rates alongside the decision to build the TR7 instead of a
new MG.

Cheers
Richard
see, I even slipped some LBC content into it...**growl**