Re: LHD to RHD

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LHD to RHD
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:56:06 EST
"kcmgb" <kcmgb@kc.rr.com> wrote:

<<<Subject: LHD to RHD

I have a question for the group that I have wondered about. I live in the
continental U.S. and was wondering Is it legal (DOT Approved) to convert a
left hand drive MG to Right hand drive? if so Where would one get the parts?
Moss possibly and How hard would it be to convert?>>>

Calvin Barnes in the Chicagoland MG Club converted his '67 some years back
and has run into no legal problems. I know the dash came out of England with
Ken Smith's assistance. He explained to me that he did it simply because
"That's the way they're supposed to be". He did say that it, by necessity,
sharpened up his throwing accuracy when going through the numerous tollbooths
of the Illinois Tollway system.

That said, I think I have posted to the list before about our other
right-hooker in the Chicagoland Club. Reinout Vogt has a right-hand drive MGC
he brought with him from Holland. Reinout is a frequent competitor in
endurance rallies like the Lap of Lake Michigan. Our theory was that he
overcomes the disadvantages of passing trucks and land yachts with his car by
not trying to lean over and look forward at oncoming traffic. We think he
just looks to his left at his navigator's eyes as he pulls out. If they
suddenly snap wide open, he pulls back in until the oncoming vehicle has
passed. On the 1996 Lap, the event was run around the perimeter of Lower
Michigan and it was the competitor's option as to running clock-wise or
counter clock-wise. We went counter and Reinout was going clockwise. We were
running east-bound on Michigan Rt. 12 and there was a long, steady line of
traffic going west-bound. We had to laugh when a car popped out of the
west-bound lane into ours, saw us and popped right back in. In that brief
exposure, we immediately recognized the huge array of driving lights
festooned across the front of the car and knew it was him and were ready to
wave as he went by.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA