Re: gas smell & braided fuel lines?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gas smell & braided fuel lines?
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:03:18 -0800
Erich wrote:

> The lines look like they are starting to go, so I am going to replace them. A
>local mechanic said that he uses braided brake lines for fuel lines. Has
>anyone heard of this, I would not think that the two were compatable. I am not
>a big fan of braided lines, but he claims they last longer.

        Is this back by the gas tank, or up by the carburetters?

        Haven't heard of using brake line before. However, in the engine
compartment, the hoses are right over the exaust manifold, and a major
leak would be catastrophic. The metal braid shields the hose from heat,
and spreads out any leaking so the gas has a chance to evaporate before
hitting the exaust manifold.

        If you're back by the tank, regular fuel hose should be fine. I haven't
had any problems with it.

> Also, should Iworry about fuel leaking when I change them out? The car has
>half a tank in it.

        There might be some leakage, but not much if you open the highest
connection first to break any siphons.

        Cheers,
        Dave Ambrose