Re: Head swap latest + tyre pressures

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head swap latest + tyre pressures
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:21:27 -0400
HMMMMMMMMM Methinks that comment requires a response. Really sounds like you
have little experience driving a Midget. Or perhaps it is your rear end and
not the cars that is twitchy and oversteering.

A Midget that has good bushings etc is not twitchy. Nor oversteering. Mine
ain't. All I have ever done to the suspension is put stiffer springs in the
front, and clamp down the soft crappy rubber thingys that supposedly support
the axle on the springs. When they go bad they can make the car steer odd
when changing throttle positions.

But for the most part I can toast a B's cookies on any curvy road you wanna
name. Ain't no way I can get a B in a straight. But lets go for the tight
esses and I got ya.

Now if you spent time, effort, and money on suspension mods, I can't say the
same.

Now if you say that a lower air pressure in the rear tyres of a BGT will
cause the car to become unsettled in a corner, and it will, that is fine,
but leave the mostly better handling Midget out of your comments.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 4/4/01 3:11 PM, "Max Heim"
<mvheim@studiolimage.com> made the profound statement:

> on 4/4/01 1:17 PM, Eric at eric@erickson.on.net wrote:
>
>> - but I normally don't worry
>> about front/rear differences when just driving normally and would stick
>> with 28/30psi all round.
>
> I think the factory recommendation for higher pressure in the rear tires is
> well worth heeding, unless, that is, you are a Midget driver at heart and
> enjoy coping with a twitchy, oversteering rear end.
>
> --
>
> Max Heim
> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
> If you're near Mountain View, CA,
> it's the red one with the silver bootlid.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section