Re: Rough Running TD

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough Running TD
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:40:24 -0700
Mike, I don't know which distributor is in a TD, but I am going to assume
that it can't be very different from a Lucas 25D. The exploded view in my
Bentley's manual (MGB 62-74, Fig. B.3, p.108) shows 3 short wires attached
to either components or the breaker plate inside the distributor. One is the
short pigtail off the condenser. One connects the incoming low-tension lead
to the points. And the third one is the one I was taking about -- it
connects the upper (moving) breaker plate itself, via a rivet, to the
distributor outer shell, at the lower breaker plate hold-down screw. This is
the ground strap for the whole assembly. Because the breaker plate rotates
with the advance mechanism, this wire is constantly being flexed, leading to
fraying and failure. It can also come loose at the hold-down screw. I think
you might want to take a closer look

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149