Fuel problems continue

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel problems continue
From: Carl W French <cfrench@cybertours.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:13:59 -0400
67B pos grd. twin SU's

So now I have replaced the fuel pump (now I have a back-up in the trunk).
The fuel filter is new. I took it out of the pike for about 12 miles with
no problems. Today to try and insure success on the long drive to the
rallye tomorrow I drained the remaining 1 gallon of fuel out of the tank to
check for rust and other bits. I did this a few times agitating the tank as
much as I could (pushing up and down on the back of the car). Took the car
out on a shakedown cruise a bit ago and experianced an immedite problem of
lack of power above idle. I counted 8-10 seconds between drips with the
ignition on (filling the fuel filter) and 23-4 seconds at idle. The fuel
filter was almost empty after running the car. While on the road I found
that I could solve the problem by hitting a bump or by jabbing the throttle
while in the power band (kinda jumping the car) after a couple of seconds
the problem came back. I limped home at about 40 MPH. Ok, some people will
say that should leave well enough alone and not have done the tank thing
but I wanted to do every thing I could short of dropping the tank to make
sure we had no problem tomorrow as the rallye starts 1.5/2hrs away. Yes, I
did not fill the tank for the winter storage so I guess I may be paying the
price for that. Can anyone think of other problems out there? I did renew
the ground connection.
Carl

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list