Re: MGB Purchase Advice

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MGB Purchase Advice
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:51:19 -0700
Unless you are wanting to do a restoration, I would keep looking.  If
you have someone fix the rust for you and paint it, I would expect that
you are will exceed $5000 easy.  That doesn't take into account the
fact that the car has been setting for many years not running.  I would
expect that getting the car running would cost you quite a bit less
than the body work, but to make it pretty, like you will want to after
a few more years of being on this list, there will be some $ spent
there too.

I bought a '70 GT with rust that had rearended someone last year for
$500.  The hood was trashed and a fender was damaged, but it ran.  It
had been sitting for a few years.  It was running and had an OD in it.
I drove the car for 45 days,  (max you can here in CO without passing
emissions tests) and then parted it out.

You might want to go check out the MG exclusive ads as well as a few
others.  I have been poking around www.collectorcartraderonline.com or
www.hemmings.com,  while there are people on there who think there cars
are worth far more than they should be, there are some good deals in
there too.

It still might not be a bad parts car though even if you decide to go
with another.  If it has been sitting 15 years, chances are it isn't
going anywhere unless they are disposing of it.

Got pictures?  I'd love to see 'em.

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net