Re: Oil Pressure Transmitter

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Transmitter
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 16:46:44 -0500
Max Heim wrote:

> Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>
> > I have noticed a lot of the cars use a system that requires plumbing
> > oil all the way up behind the dash.  Why would you want to go that
> > route rather than the electrical type?
> > Andrew Lundgren
>
> Because it works <g>! Apparently the electrical ones were so unreliable that
> the factory went back to the direct feed ones after only a few years.

   On our MG cars, I consider the oil pressure gauge to be an
idiot light with numbers written on it.  For me, it tells me if
there is 'some' oil pressure, on average.  The electric gauge is
a thermal device.  One could have a catastrophic oil failure
resulting in ZERO pressure and it would be a number of seconds
before the gauge indicated anything noticeable.  Consider the stock
item an "indicator" only.  BUT, for 98% of the time, that is all
you "need."  Opinions and ...
   I do prefer the looks of (new) mechanical gauges because of
the 270 degree hand movement.  They seem to have higher
precision.  This is probably illusion.
   My goal in my B-GT is to have working gauges that look
"correct" and work "somewhere near" what the designers
intended.  That is what I now have.  Calibration is not needed.

--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research

///