Re: Oil Pressure Transmitter

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Transmitter
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 13:50:18 -0500
Max Heim wrote:

> I suspect it really isn't that critical for the oil pressure gauge to have
> instantaneous response in these cars, anyway. I have to admit I once drove
> my car a 1/2 mile with no oil in the sump before I noticed the gauge
> bottomed out, with no apparent ill effects (I know it wasn't an erroneous
> reading because the oil was all on the driveway!).

   So true.  One of the absolutely endearing features of the
MGB is that its engine is as strong and tough as a bull!
   Also, I am a bit over sensitive regarding oil pressure as I
have recently had oil filter problems with my 308GTB.  The
Ferrari supported supplier of oil filters for the 308 is a
company called UFI.  Recently, the UFI company made a run
of filters and supplied them with a defective sealing O-ring.
Actually it is a D-ring but close enough.  The rubber used in
the seal was WAY too soft and deformed under pressure
allowing hot oil to flow past the ring.  In the 308, when the
seal is broken, the pressure sensor tells the oil pumps to go
full flow!  The result is a massive oil blow.  Twice in one day,
I blew 6 quarts of Mobil1 oil into the engine compartment in
10 seconds at 100psi!  Fortunately, both times I got the
engine shut down safely in time to avoid damage.  Also, the
flash point of synthetic oil is higher than that of dino-oil and
even though the headers were glowing hot, the oil did not
catch fire.  Massive good luck there.  I now use Baldwin racing
filters on the 308.
   So please forgive me if I blurted out an opinion based
partially in emotion.  I have had to rebuild one 308 motor to
the tune of $10,000.  I get a little 'goosey' thinking about
having to do another! :-]

Best regards and thanks for the follow-up note,

rick

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list