Re: As the sun slowly sets...

To: wbrien@mediaone.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: As the sun slowly sets...
From: "Tuck Southworth" <tsouthworth70@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:28:32 -0400
You got the right letters but the wrong order.  That was a YT Tourer that
you saw.  The YT actually predated the MGT and Abingdon used the Y type
frame and drive train to produce the MGTD.  The YT used a single carb
version of the 1250 cc engine. I think when it came to designing the TD they
screwed around with the rear suspension and they used an independent
suspension up front.
BTW That suspension setup remained basically unchanged all the way up to the
B!

The MG brass tried to import the YT to the US but it never caught on and
very few ever made it over here. If you look at the car in profile you may
understand why some folks called it a Victorian bath tub.
I'm not sure how much has been written about the YT, but you can try
Clausuger's book on the early MGs.  He might shed some light on numbers and
tech stuff.  Some really nice examples of YT's show up every year at the
NEMGT events.

Tuck Southworth
MGB "hers"
MGTF 1500 "all mine"