Re: smoking start

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: smoking start
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 17:11:44 -0600
Thanks to all that replied on my smoking start question. I got quite a few
replies, many off list.

It seems that the majority of replies point to worn valve guides. As far as
valve jobs, I have only done one on all my MGs and that was on my 71BGT. It
had bad valve guides but its symptoms were excessive oil burning but very
little smoking, usually occurring when shifting gears  (actually related to
the change in vacuum pressure).

But on this Landcruiser (FJ40), I have done valve jobs at 60k and 120k
miles. In both cases, the problem was with bad exhaust valves.  Now I'm at
150k miles. Maybe its guide time. I'll check the brake booster/ brake
fluid  theory also.

David

At 02:56 PM 8/1/2001 -0500, Jeff Fayne wrote:

>Sounds like a classic symptom of worn valve guides. As the engine cools, the
>clearance between the valve and the guide increases, oil drips into the
>cylinder and is burned off when started. As the engine warms up, the
>clearance decreases and no oil consumption (or at least very little)
>
>Had a '77 Landcruiser, my recollection is that Toyota 'copied' the old Chevy
>stovebolt six for use in the Landcruiser. Your local machine shop should be
>able to do a valve job for you without any problem.
>
>Jeff
>'70B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list