Re: 3-Position Wiper Switch

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3-Position Wiper Switch
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:37:47 -0400
Hi all,

I don't seem to have gotten the original of this.

Anyway, this switch is exactly what I have operating the two-speed
wipers in my '67B.  It's the headlight switch to the '62-'65 B, which is
more readily available than the '67 headlight switch.  A long time ago I
posted the entire process for this conversion and then lost the
original email and forgot what I did.  Enough people have asked me about
this that I asked the list to steer me to the archives so I could recreate the
instructions.  I found the original posting, but it no longer made sense
even to me.  It's on my list of things to do to figure this out again and
rewrite it more intelligibly, especially since I need to perform this
conversion
on my '63 MG 1100's.  But for now, here's the original post.  Ignore
the ASCII art.

BTW, the B is running on a loaner generator from Steve Devine, president of
the Boston Area MG Club.  Thanks!  And thanks to everyone who
responded!

Denise

This is the procedure for installing two-speed wipers in a US-spec MGB that
originally came with one-speed wipers (pre-'68).

Parts:  Two-speed
wiper motor with electrical connector and mounting bracket, '68 and later.
Toggle headlight switch for '62-'65 MGB, TRF #LU31837, Victoria British #8-414,
Moss #141-230, sheet metal and bolts for custom mounting bracket, assorted
wires
and connectors
Before mounting the motor, some modifications need to be made
to it:  The two-speed motor was used
on cars with three wipers.  The
drive cable for these motors is shorter than the two-wiper cable.  The cables
are mounted differently in
the two different motors so just the cables should be switched.  With the flat
cover removed from the
motor, the procedure should be obvious.
While the cover is off and the cable disconnected, the position of the
cable on the gear relative to the position of the park switch needs to be
changed.  The wipers on three-wiper
cars park the other direction so the park direction needs to be reversed.  To
do this, remove the circlip holding
the large (2" diameter) nylon gear to the housing and remove the gear
assembly.  You'll see two square
bosses on the gear that fit into two square cutouts on the metal plate.  Pry
the gear away from the metal
plate.  When the bosses are clear of
their slots, turn the gear 180 degrees and line up the bosses.  Press the gear
back towards the plate
and re-install the assembly.
Mounting the motor:
The early wiper motor is mounted to a black bracket with studs that screw
into the upper part of the motor (where the cable goes in).  The later motor
doesnt have these
threaded holes.  It's mounted
directly to the firewall (I assume) with a strap that goes around the lower,
round part of the motor where the windings are.  I made a sheet metal plate
(out of a
rusty battery cover) that mounts to the early bracket where the motor studs
were
and extends down and to the left (LHD car).  The motor is then mounted to the
plate
with the strap.  Here's an ASCII
drawing of the plate:
____________________

() | This is where the early motor was mounted
| ()
| with big rubber bushings.

() |

|   ________|
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |  o
o  | The strap holds the
motor to the plate here.

| Packing needs to go under the motor to make the    |
| strap tight.
____________________________

This method uses both early and late mounting brackets plus a
custom bracket.  It should be
possible to mount the later motor the way it was mounted in later cars using
only the strap.  I didn't do this
because it would require drilling holes in the firewall.  If you choose to do
this, you'll notice
that the motor is too far away from the firewall.  It should be possible to fix
this
problem by bending or replacing the cable sheath between the motor and right
side wiper.
Wiring:  The
switch logic is:
Position
Connects terminals
Off
6-7,1-2
Low
4-6-7
High
4-7-8
The connector to the two-speed motor has five
wires:

___

1       |

3  2   |

5  4   |
 The wiring to the motor is:
1 is black (B) - ground
2 is brown w/light green (NLG) - park
3 is blue w/light green (ULG) - high speed
4 is green (G) - keyed power in
5 is red w/light green (RLG) - low speed

The wiring harness in my '67 B has three wires at the wiper
motor:
green (G) -
keyed power in
black w/green (BG) - to the switch
black (B) - ground

To wire the two-speed switch in a '67B, the green and
black wires from the harness connect to the green and black wires at the
motor.  I used the black w/green
wire (BG) in the harness for the high-speed wire that should have been blue
w/light green (ULG).  Additional
wires came from a partially burned harness so I had the correct color wires
for the other two wires.  The colors listed
here match the colors listed above for the motor so even if you don't have
the original color wires, you can wire correctly by connecting the
switch terminals and motor connector terminals of the same listed colors.
At the switch when it's in a '67B, the wiring is:
4 - green (G)
6 - red w/light green (RLG); jumper wire to terminal 1
8 - blue w/light green (ULG), or if using the harness wire,
black w/green (BG)
1 - jumper wire to terminal 6
2 - brown w/light green (NLG)