Re: Report: Ignitor Ignition System

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Report: Ignitor Ignition System
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:00:07 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <ATWEDITOR@aol.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 7:59 AM

> In a message dated 10/3/01 11:33:38 PM, bobmgtd@home.com writes:
>
> <<  I'm curious if others
> have noticed a performance boost with this device.
>  >>

> Absolutely.  I love it.  Added a sport coil, regapped the plugs and it got
> even better.  If you think it felt good on your B--and it does, I
agree--you
> should feel what it did to my '66 Mustang.  Zoom!  I guess the only
downside
> is the possibility of sudden and total failure.  Hasn't happened to me,
> though, and I've got it on my B, my B-GT and, for 5 years, my Mustang.
>
> Jay Donoghue
> 72B
> 72B-GT
> 66 Mustang

I've been stranded due to the sudden and total failure of points and
condensers back in the good old days. I don't think the Ignitor could
possibly be less reliable, unless it's a complete basket case design-wise.
Barring a manufacturing flaw or operation beyond it's ratings, solid state
devices should outlive their owners.

BTW: Check that little braided wire that grounds the points/Ignitor plate to
the distributor case. That wire flexes as the vacuum advance moves. The wire
on mine was hanging by a thread in one spot after thirty years of flexing.
Without that wire, the points/Ignitor won't have a reliable ground. I think
Pertronix should have added a third ground wire to the Ignitor.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@home.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336