Re: Report: Ignitor Ignition System

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Report: Ignitor Ignition System
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:55:46 -0500
The company I work for supplies electrical parts for the automotive
industry. I'm not directly involved with ignitions, but I've picked up a
little bit of information here and there. Stock OEM ignitions are designed
to work down to 6 volts. For a 12 volt battery, this is the point of maximum
power transfer. The voltage can dip this low in sub-zero weather while
cranking. Obviously, the ignition must supply a spark under these conditions
or the engine won' start. Even in the summer the starter is going load the
battery somewhat under 12 volts. People who are opening their plug gaps
beyond MG's specification may be shooting themselves in the foot when the
battery voltage is low. The spark voltage is going to be proportional to the
battery voltage and it takes more voltage to jump a larger gap. Of course if
your battery is always fresh and you don't drive in winter, you may get away
with a bigger gap.

If the Ignitor won't work below 12 volts, Pertronix better go back to the
drawing board.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@home.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470