Re: Charging System Woes

To: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Charging System Woes
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:31:43 +0100
Let's start with the warning light.  This powered from the ignition (white)
and alt (brown/yellow).  With the ignition on and the alt plug removed,
grounding the brown/yellow in the alt plug should light the warning light.
If it doesn't then check the bulb and wiring.  If it does, but still does
not light when plugged into the alt, either the alt you have has different
connections to your plug or the alt is bad.

Second, when suspecting or replacing an alt *always* check the voltage on a
brown wire e.g. at the fuse block with the engine running at a fast idle.
You should see approx 14v.  If you only see 12v then the alt is not
charging, either due to a break in the thick brown between alt and heavy
current cable, or again incorrect connector or bad alt.  Switch on as many
factory loads (i.e. excluding multi-kilowatt sound systems) as you can and
you should still see in excess of 13v.

You can check the thick brown at the alt plug by looking for 12v.  Bad
connections can still limit the charging current, which is why the voltage
and load checks above are required.

Without a working meter, or at a pinch a test-lamp, your options for
diagnosis are pretty limited.  And 'poke and hope' is not a worthwhile
substitute IME.

PaulH.