RE: Wow... LBC's and House Projects...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wow... LBC's and House Projects...
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:48:06 -0000
look out..!!

<ramble-on>

>I've never seen a factory V8 in the flesh either but with most of the

Not in the flesh but..

http://www.apphosting.com/mgstuff/Concours/MG/NSW99/mg_bgt_V8_enginebay.JPG
http://www.apphosting.com/mgstuff/Concours/MG/NSW99/mg_bgt_V8_enginebay_port
rait.JPG

and you didn't ask for it, but here's my impressions of the V8 relative to
my MG trio..

I agree, the twin cam has the most beautiful engine and is just about the
most lustworthy MG ever - imo. <G> The V8 however has generally better
access to most things in the engine bay, the only real problem with them is
header clearance to inner wing and anything around the headers - like the
steering column etc. The thing about the V8 is it's _totally different to a
B, a BGT, or a C or an A. It's got legs  - I can stay with a new Elise to
60mph (no bull, & only 180bhp in my car) mainly due to the fact that in 2nd
she almost hits 60! She revs, she goes & finally the sound.. sound being the
best thing. mmm!! Another issue not oft mentioned, the V8 rides a lot better
than a stock B. It was derided at the time for the 'soft' suspension, but
thats wildy unfair - it's great for daily driving on todays rotten roads and
has a definite handling bias, there is slight roll with the car on initial
change of direction yes but it isn't what I'd call 'soft'  - a nice
compromise in other words.

MGA matches it on every count for sure and beats it on some, ie the A way
outhandles the V8, they have fabulous sound as well - but it's such a
totally different animal you can't really compare them. The V8 can do 120+
without even trying and cruise at 70mph with nothing on the tach, whereas
I'd choose the A everytime if I wanted some _pure wind in the hair fun. I
had to fit a rev limiter to my V8 and others have done likewise, they
absolutely storm past the redline these things, certainly not a typical V8
like the slow revving Aussie ones I'm used to.

I've driven 17,000mls in my V8 since last Xmas. England-Ireland 7 times+,
every square inch of Ireland * god knows (gf's job!), a trip to Scotland -
and from Ireland to Le Mans (France) and back! :) 2x V8's and we didn't even
break down once did we Paul? <G> Just about run out of gas at Dover though.
hehe. 27-28mpg at 80mph on the motorways FWIW.

Best thing to do is own both eh! <VBG> One day I might sell my 1600 and buy
a TC, but I'd never sell my V8... What am I talking about? I'd never sell my
1600 either. Not after all the times it's bitten me and all the times I've
bent Barney's and you lots ears..! I have to thrash her a bit more yet to
get my own back..!! heh heh ;)

<ramble-off>

Cheers,
Neil
Portsmouth, England
74 BGT V8 & others in another hemisphere..
http://www.apphosting.com/mgstuff

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///