RE: Wow... LBC's and House Projects...

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: RE: Wow... LBC's and House Projects...
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:49:34 -0000
Hi Barney,

>BTW, Neil.  What ever became of that MGA "back home" after you left?  Did
>they ever get the scroll clearance problem fixed on that (very expensive)
>new crankshaft?

The machine shop fixed up the chewed up block and sourced me a new crank
free of charge. The engineers report cleared my assembly and pointed the
finger clearly at the shop and our mechanic friend got stuck into them until
they performed the work. So good news on almost every front. I still wish
I'd known about this clearance. I hadn't seen it mentioned in any of my
manuals and the crank installed turned over sweet as a nut. Obviously the
clearance was barely adequate cold and rotten hot as I found out on my first
drive. Never knew a motor could lock the rear wheels up solid like that. It
was like someone just absolutely stomped on the brakes.. No mechanical
noise, just screechhhh!!

Problem is, it doesn't look like this
http://www.apphosting.com/mgstuff/A/new_engine.JPG anymore after the
countless weeks I spent fettlin' it (and hassling you! ;). <G> It's now all
stripped, in parts in a greased bag somewhere.. Sigh.. Oh well. Something to
look forward to when I get back to Aus.

The CGT is still being worked on at hi-flow. A restoration plus some serious
engine upgrades. EFI, Supercharged etc. That will be fun! <G> Woof!! May
blow the V8 into the weeds but who knows if it'll go around a corner. Ooo
thats unfair. ;) A roll bar, fat tyres etc should fix that up.

Cheers,
Neil
74 V8

///