Re: RESEND-Was mga engine replacement

To: ShearSAVVY1@aol.com
Subject: Re: RESEND-Was mga engine replacement
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:01:12 -0500
ShearSAVVY1@aol.com wrote:

> Wow!
> I appreciate all the thoughtful responses my query generated.  I should have
> mentioned in my original post that a classmate of mine has a metal
> fabrication shop and has successfully completed a couple of ambitious
> powertrain conversions.  He inspected the car, and based on measurements he
> took as well as some research of his own thought it would be feasible to mate
> a Rover V8/Buick Al 215 and a t-5 tranny to the mga.  With his help it would
> be possible for me to do a lot of the expensive welding, etc. for no cost.  I
> wanted to see if any of you had tried this and glean what I could from the
> list's collective wisdom.
>
> I understand the viewpoint of many listers who think that such a conversion
> would bastardize the mg, and to some extent I agree.  I recently finished a
> ground up restoration on a 1972 BMW motorcycle with the express intent of
> keeping the finished bike factory-spec.   After nearly getting killed at an
> intersection I recanted and dropped a front fork from a /6 w/ disc brakes to
> improve the horrific stopping ability of the period drums.  I didn't feel as
> compelled to keep the bike bone-stock after that incident, and I'm glad I
> didn't as I love the bike in its new configuration.  Obviously my interest in
> the mga has nothing to do with safety issues.  At this earliest of stages,
> I'm simply brainstorming my options.  Admittedly I know little about the mga
> and in fact haven't yet been able to drive/ride in a stock 1500 (any generous
> souls in AZ?). Prior to laying out money for the car and committing myself to
> this project I wanted to see what avenues exist for performance improvement.
> I am attracted to the mga for its beautiful lines, simplistic engineering,
> and reputation as a great handling car.   I am less than awed by a quoted
> 0-60 time of 14s. Moreover, the fact that the 1500 was superceded by the
> 1600, and twin-cam models makes me wonder if the car's developers didn't
> think the initial powerplant was too anemic to start.
>
> After reading all the advice given I am now inclined to get the car AND keep
> the integrity of the vehicle based on the concensus regarding cost and ease
> of completion.  Can anyone provide a relative cost-benefit list of
> improvements I can make given the stock motor?  My ideal endpoint is a
> regular driver with a little more oomph than I anticipate from the 1500.
> With this in mind should I begin with a 1600, or as one reader suggested an
> mgb 1800?  Cam, downdrafts, etc.?
>
> To those few who have emailed me off list, bent out of shape by my idea I
> would like to add a few things.  IMHO any restoration effort will pose a
> number of dilemas for the owner, especially when working w/ a 40 year old
> car.  As someone correctly pointed out I would not truly be undertaking a
> restoration by shoehorning a V6/8 into the car - I would simply be getting it
> [...]

Hello Bill:

We all have our own ideas of what is or is not an acceptable improvement to make
to these old cars. The same arguments apply to an old BMW motorcycle. If you
want
to feel brakes that pop your eyeballs out of their sockets, take a ride on a BMW
R1100RT or the new R1150RT with their second and third generation ABS.

Regardless, the Rover V-8 project would open another can of worms. I can't say
for sure if you could walk into any auto parts store and find what you need like
you could with a Chevy V-6.

If more power is what you are after, you may want to consider a turbocharger kit
that has been discussed on this list before. The advantage to such a
modification
is it can be done in one or two weekends. A V-8 conversion to a MGB is a long
project: in excess of one year. I have to guess it would be even more difficult
to shoe horn the Rover engine into a MGA with its more restricted engine
compartment.

Another aspect of turbocharging the MGA that is appealing is the easy
reversibility. That kit costs ~$3200 last time I heard and makes a nice power
gain. In hindsight, after two years work on his MGB-GT V-8 project, my son says
he would have done the turbo and been driving the car a long time ago for less
money too.

Just some thoughts.

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net
1999 BMW R1100RT Very Black... of course!
1999 BMW F650 Very Red
1978 BMW R80/7 Very Blue
BMW MOA #89329, BMW RA #25289, IBMWR
1972 Suzuki TS185 Dual Sport, Very sort of orange. For Sale
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Avant Very Silver
1960 MGA 1600 Very Red
1974 MGB-GT Damask (Very Burgundy) Red

///