RE: Dist. replacement. - hesitation

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: RE: Dist. replacement. - hesitation
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:35:59 -0500
Well guys,

I got so many replies, I'll have to sort them out.
Most votes went for the too lean mixture (whatever the cause).
As I do not have an electronic timing light, I'll have the vacuum advance
checked latest.

To answer Paul's question my engine is as standard as possible using normal
filters, however as the car has been defederalised from Californian
standards this is a special case.
Paul triggered me to the needle topic. The '71 BGT still has its original
engine 18GK high pressure no OD.
After having it defederalised according to the Porter How to ... manual what
needle type should I use? I purchased new needles from the local MG spares
shop Octagon Spares - the guy is well knowledgable on MG's and has been the
Dutch MG Car Club Adviser on MGB, so at these days about 8 years ago I
trusted him.
(don't know needle type now as they are inside the SU's)
Please advise needle type. Carb is the original HS4's with spring loaded
needle.

A quick and dirty trick of course is to have the both SU's slightly adjusted
a bit richer, but I'd like to have the engine well tuned.

The tuning job btw did not include any replacements...

The backfiring is in the carbs. I once saw it and the family just was
looking to the car's first start and then the bang came - wow afterwards the
family had much more respect for the GT!!!!
When the backfire happens, I can feel it on my throttle pedal.
When backfiring happens, I saw no changes on the rev counter.

Vernier adjustment is the 2nd serious attempt, keeping in mind what the
original position was of course.

Next thursday I think the weather is o.k. to do some testing.

Looking forward to the needle advise.

Cheers,

Hans

'BGT coughing sometimes when cold