Re: Supercharger

To: "Maynard Hirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supercharger
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:44:51 -0500
> If I was planning to put a supercharger on an engine, I would want
> to make sure that the comression ratio is correct.  I believe (may
> be wrong) that you have to use low compression pistons so that
> you w't blow the headgasket.  The compression with the
> supercharger will be way above stock anyway.
>
> Maynard HIrsch

No, that is not the reason for using low compression pistons.  Your stock,
either 8.7:1 or 8.0:1 (I think) pistons, will be fine for moderate (no more
than 9psi) boost.  Fuel and timing variables will need to be manipulated to
avoid the preignition and / or detonation you may encounter, which is often
remedied by fitting lower compression pistons.

However, in the 9.0:1+ engine compression range you may be asking for a bit
of trouble in an older LBC motor if you introduce forced induction to it.
In that case, a rather more simple method of lowering the compression ratio
is offered, a thicker head gasket.  Mordy Dunst, TR List member and racer,
makes his own copper head gaskets in various thicknesses for this purpose.

http://www.headgasket.com

Anyone interested in supercharging, in the theory or actual applications,
should go purchase Corky Bell's book, Supercharged!.  Unlike Corky's turbo
book, this is much more comprehensive and quite a bit better written.
Practically every aspect of supercharging is covered.  In my "library", it
has superceded all my other forced induction books as the reference I use
the most.

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
Former owner of a supercharged TR6