Re: MGB Improvements - makes sense!

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>,
Subject: Re: MGB Improvements - makes sense!
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:40:29 -0500
That really does make sense Lawrie. SU's rely
on a bit of vacuum to pull fuel into the carb throat.
K&N's (any free flow filter) doesn't 'restrict' enough to create the
proper vacuum needed for the carbs to work just right.
Sure WOT doesn't need any restriction. But who only drives
at WOT except while racing.

>From my own experiments, you need about a 1.5 foot long
ram pipe on an HS4, between the carb and K&N air filter to
get the same in/Hg drop in pressure to match the effects of
the stock filters and housings.

Take note everyone...Ever notice the that the stock air
filter housing 'snorkels' have the same size openings as the
carb throat diameters? :-)
There was a very good reason for that design.

I'm still running open K&N's with the single 'logo' plate that spans both
filters. Mostly for the 're-usability'. I've now blocked off the bottom
half of the filters and my mpg has gone up.  After they get a bit dirty
I rotate the filters to expose the 'clean' side that had not been
'breathed through'.  This means I can go twice as long before
having to pull them off and clean them properly.

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com