Re: brake pads

To: mwjose@cox.net
Subject: Re: brake pads
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:34:00 -0500
Mike,
  When the pistons are pushed back into the calipers they displace a lot
of brake fluid.
  Step one is to use a syringe and suck at least half of the fluid out of
the master cylinder. If you poke it to the bottom, some sludge will be
removed.
  You can use two large pliers, slip-joint (waterpump) pliers work OK.
Just squeeze slowly, gently and evenly so that they clamp the piston and
push it straight back into the caliper. There are special tools for this
that the pros use, but the owner can spend a few more minutes doing it
with pliers.
   It does no harm to have a helper keep an eye on the fluid level in the
MC as you do this--you don't want to overflow fluid onto your paint.
  Once the pistons are back, they will remain there, so you can slip in
the new pads.
Bob

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:08:27 -0700 Michael Jose <mwjose@cox.net> writes:
> I'm putting new pads on my front brakes right now, and I have a silly
> newbie type question: how the devil does one push the pistons back
> in?
> bentley says to use a suitable clamp (?), haynes says to push them
> 'right in'
> I took off the master cylinder cap, but I would rather not take the
> calipers off, as the rotors look alright to me.  This seems like
> something simple, routine, but I can't figure it out!
> thanks in advance
> mike jose
> 79 B
> phoenix