Re: steering wheel repositioning

To: "Aubrey Schneider" <aschneider@shaw.ca>, "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel repositioning
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:48:17 -0000
First, why is it off?  If the track rod ends are way out such that the rack
is not central in the straight-ahead position (very different number of
threads showing each side) then this should be corrected first.  If the rack
is OK then it depends if you have the column with the movable turn-signal
cancel gizmo (which you probably do) or the fixed.  If it is the movable
type remove the wheel and reposition it on the splines, and adjust the gizmo
to suit.  If it is the fixed you will have to adjust the splines at the UJ,
one side of which only goes on in one position (notched shaft) and the other
goes on in any (bolt groove goes all round the shaft).  To remove the wheel
slacken the centre nut a couple of turns but make sure plenty of threads are
still engaged.  Brace your knees behind the wheel so as to apply pressure in
an 'off-ward' direction, then tap the shaft with a medium hammer.  Should
pop off.