Re: bad wiper blades

To: wtkilleffer@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: bad wiper blades
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:11:57 -0500
Bill,
   If you poke around in the napa store you can find rubber inserts that
will fit most OEM blades. Then you trim them to fit and slide them in.  I
did that frequently with my 3-wiper 1975 B that lived outside and was my
daily driver for several years in Florida.   English wiper blades are
frequently more-or-less pure natural rubber. That has a short life if
kept dry (one plus to living in Seattle, I suppose) and they bake out in
sunlight also.  American rubber is tougher, and cheaper too.
  So I would take pliers in hand and adjust the blades you have to fit
the rubber inserts you find, and leave the wiper arms themselves alone.
  Do you wish to feel better about the cost of blades for the MGB?  Check
prices on the tiny little flat blades for the TDs and divide by their
life that is measured in months for a cost/day/wiper number.
Bob

On Sat, 02 Mar 2002 17:58:26 -0500 William Killeffer
<wtkilleffer@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hello listers,
> I don't drive the MG in the rain very often, but have wipers cause
> who knows
> when a storm could come up. IThe local Napa store
> stocks
> replacements, but they are designed to fit the wiper arm with the
> really
> narrow head, where mine has the wider head.

(snip)

> -William Killeffer
> 1974 MGB

///