tranny&diff rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: tranny&diff rebuild
From: ShearSAVVY1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:53:50 -0400
Hi everyone,
My 1600 is completely torn down and I find that I've wholly underestimated the
length of time it would take to finish this restoration effort.  Things that I
was looking forward to attempting myself are going to have to be sent out if I
hope to get the MGA back on the road.  My question is this: would a
run-of-the-mill ASE certified, etc. shop specializing in domestic/foreign
transmission and differential work be competent enough to entrust a rebuild to?
 I know that they have probably never worked on MGs, but there seems to be a
concensus that they're not that complicated and I figure that a mechanic who's
been working on transmissions for a long time regardless of type is more
knowledgeable than myself.  Unfortunately there isn't a reasonably priced
British car garage in town, or I would take the work to them.
As the car wasn't running when I bought it I have no way of being sure about
their condition, other than the fact I've pulled the covers off of each,
counted and inspected the teeth (the ones I could see)and verified that
everything spins freely and appears to mate well.  I am sending smaller things
like the steering rack, brake pistons, shocks, etc. to University Motors in
Michigan as I hear they're good, but would like to avoid dropping a ton of
money shipping the big, heavy units if it can be done locally.
P.S. I'm aware that the generic garage won't have spares about, but I could
provide them with the Moss catalog and shop manual for clearances, etc..

Thanks, Bill Shear