Re: weber question

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weber question
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 11:11:50 -0700
Word on the street is Chuck Renner said:
> Being in the situation where I'd finally like to ditch the ZS on my '79, I'm
> wanting to get a set of SUs.  For a tad more than the Weber kits, the usual
> suspects are selling the SU HS6 1 3/4" kits.  This looks attractive, since
> it's brand new carbs, with the linkage, manifold, etc. included.
>
> However, is this going to be overkill on an otherwise stock late engine?

Yes, in fact it is overkill even on most modified engines.

The size of the carbs is not the "bottleneck" in the MGB engine design;
you would have to make substantial changes to the head, intake and
exhaust design to see any benefit.

Also, a larger carb will SLOW the charge coming into the engine and
could actually hurt performance.

With an otherwise stock 79 engine the HIF4 are the way to go, with a
free-flow air filter such as K&N's and AAU (moss 374-380) needles
and yellow damper spring (moss 021-081)

> Am I better off sourcing a used manifold and linkage, and then getting new
> or rebuilt standard carbs?

Yes.  There are some redesigned intake manifolds available, check
mgbmga.com and aptfast.com - much better use of your money, IMO

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   www.mgbexperience.com   (_o____o_)