RE: Carlisle

To: mgs@autox.team.net, "dave houser" <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Subject: RE: Carlisle
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:7:3 -0400
Dave Houser said:

> Listers,
> Well, I guess the bargains were just too much to pass on . Where were
> all you folks who planned to show up?  Waiting to chat with our members
> at our meeting place across from Brit Books at 12:30 Sat.
> MG council meeting was lightly attended, too. Maybe the weather forced
> folks to sleep in.

I was there...around 3:30 or so.  The info about the meeting place was the
only thing I didn't print out before dashing out the door, so my sieve-like
brain decided that the meeting was behind building R at 12:30.  No one was
there either.  I didn't find the other meeting place until I'd embarrassed
myself by asking every car literature seller in the place if they'd ever
heard of the MG mailing list.  Who'd've thunk that a bookseller would be
inside a building?

But it was worth the drive, partly because I like driving and it was
beautiful even when it was raining.  There weren't as many MG parts sellers
there as last year, but I suspect that that was more because of the rain
than a loss of interest.  I did get some bargains: the plastic speaker
console for a '67B for $10 (with speaker!), a 1020 OD speedo for $30, and
the sway bar bushings I should have replaced a long time ago for $5.  I
also got a cool repro BMC dealership sign.  Other than that, I got lots of
parts for the stinkin' Volvo, including a brand new Turbo grill for $100.
Maybe I'm actually starting to like that car.

The trip was worth it even though there were three things I meant to do
there and I only did one--the car show.  I was supposed to show up at Gary
Breeback's and look at parts Friday night, but traffic and getting lost
made me too late for that (sorry Gary!).  Mapquest used to have an option
to travel only main roads, but it's gone.  What they really need is an
'avoid New York' option.  And I was going to look for a tree Sunday, but it
turned out that PA is closed on Sunday and I didn't find one before they
rolled up the sidewalks on Saturday.

Maybe youse guys can help.  I'm looking for a sweet gum tree, festival
variety (Liquidambar Styraciflua var. Festival).  If anyone knows of a
place I can buy one within reasonable driving distance of Southern New
Hampshire--two days or less--please send it along to me off-list.  BTW, I
know that those aren't supposed to grow in New Hampshire and that's why
they're not available here but I know tricks.  Thanks!

While I'm asking for help, could someone explain to me why Hull, MA wants
$5 per car for excise tax and $20 per car for late fees for 2002 when I've
proven to them that I moved out of MA in October of 2001 and registered the
cars in New Hampshire in November of 2001?  If I don't pay, they threaten
that I won't be able to register my cars there.  Huh?

Denise

--- Denise Thorpe
--- xyzabcde@ear