RE: Some rear brake questions (MGB)

To: "'mgs'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Some rear brake questions (MGB)
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:54:34 -0600
> Anyway, once you've adjusted the (newly replaced) rear
> brakes, how much drag is normal?

Some is normal.  How much is hard to put in words.  My Dad taught me.

> I adjusted them till
> spinning the rear wheel met with some resistance, then backed
> them off a notch (click?) or so. Seems like this leaves too
> much free play in the brake pedal.

I ususally adjust them TIGHT, then back off one notch.  If everything is
'just right' that will be enough; however backing off two notches may be
necessary if the shoes and the drums don't match precisely.  (or perhaps
the drum is not round)

> Was curious about this, and also how hot the rear wheels
> would be after a short drive with light brake use.

Hot enough you'd wished you'd never touched them.

> Also in this
> condition, the handbrake will not keep the car from rolling.

About 4 clicks is about all the hand brake should move.

Larry Hoy