GT real brake cylinders

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT real brake cylinders
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:08:13 +1200
 > I think you have that backwards.  If you change to the larger GT
cylinders
 > you should get less rear braking force since it will take more fluid
> volume
> to expand the cylinders by the same amount.  This Is why some sources say
> replace the roadster cyls with GT when uprating performance.  More weight
> transfer under braking means less weight on the rear end and thus less
> ability to brake so less pressure is needed.
>
> james

 Definatly not.

 Greater diameter cylinder gives greater piston area.
 Greater piston area gives greater force at same line pressure.
 Greater force gives greater braking effort on rear wheels which will
 increase the tendency for the rear wheels to lock up under emergency
 braking.

 What does happen is that for an increase in size of rear wheel cylinder,
 more fluid is required to move the piston the same distance that a smaller
 cylinder would move. This results in increased pedal travel.

 Cheers

 Ian F