Re: GT real brake cylinders

To: jamesnazarian@netzero.net
Subject: Re: GT real brake cylinders
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:32:52 -0400
  That doesn't sound right to me.  Pressure of fluid in PSI x diameter of
piston is what develops the force that pushes  the shoes against the
drum.  The MC in the dual line non servo system has the pedal pushrod
pushing the primary cup for the disc brakes and a spring pushes the
secondary cup for the drum brakes.  Since the spring could make up for
difference in stroke length between primary and secondary cups, it would
push with the strength of the spring being the limiting factor, and the
pressure from the MC would be pushing against a larger piston in the GT,
hence putting the brakes on harder.
  Looking at the problem another way---the GT is heavier, and its
additional weight is all from the windscreen aft.  It has greater weight
on the tires, hence greater adhesion. Thus braking power on the wheels
could be increased to handle the additional weight, and the additional
weight at the rear keeps the wheels from locking up.
  Upgrading the open cars to GT cylinders would increase their braking on
the rear wheels, which is fine if the fronts have been increased in power
also.
Bob