Re: Period performance (different perspective)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Period performance (different perspective)
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:19:26 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/02 10:25:49 AM, ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com writes:

<<
> I grew up in the UK in the '60s and '70s and quite definitely the
> MGB was considered a sports car in Europe. >>

I'm not sure what other people in the US thought of the MGB in the mid-60s,
but it was a sports car to me.  At that time, against US cars, it may not
have won many straight-line races, but throw a few bends into the proceedings
and you started to see a huge advantage shift.  My '66 Mustang is a hoot off
the line, but unmodified (it is now modified) it leans way too much in turns,
and the steering is way too loose, with too many turns lock-to-lock, to be
considered a "sports" suspension.  The GT version Mustang had tighter
steering and suspension, but the point is that aside from the Corvette, the
Mustang and Camaro were the two sportiest cars available from this side of
the Atlantic, and they had some ways to go to match the handling of a mid-60s
MG.  Not that  my '68 B-GT was a slouch power-wise before the pollution
meanies got to the engine, especially against contemporary Fiat 124s, Datsun
1600s (remember them?) and others.

Jay Donoghue
66 Mustang
72B-GT