Re: Period performance (different perspective)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Period performance (different perspective)
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:22:27 -0400
Reminds me of a youthful encounter I had with a Road Runner. I was in
high school (1970), had my '60 MGA (still do, btw) and a friend bought
a Road Runner w 383 ci V-8. He was trying to goad me into 'racing'. I
said I'd accept the challenge with the following conditions:
    1. We race on a twisty 2 lane road through an unpopulated hilly
section of town.
            < or >
    2. We drag race - starting with empty fuel tanks - and each gets a
one-gallon can of gasoline. I figured with the electric fuel pump in
my MGA I'd be off and running before he could get his V-8 fired.
He declined either challenge.

I did have fun with him one day though. I brought a jack to work and
placed blocks under the rear axle so that the tires were not - quite -
touching the pavement. It was pretty funny watching him try to figure
out why his car wouldn't go when he put it in 'D'. He kept adding more
throttle and looking more bewildered.

Eric
Mebane, NC
1960 MGA