Forwarded: Re: Brake master

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: Re: Brake master
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:05:25 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason this was sent to me rather than mgs@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     From: Rafgt6@aol.com
     Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:03:31 EDT
     Subject: Re: Brake master

The best advise you can get about this master cylinder is to send the kit
back, bite the bullet, and buy a rebuilt unit.

After the first circlip is removed a second one is hidden under a seal and a
nylon bearing. both the clip and the bearing a hard to remove without causing
any damage to the cylinder bore. One scratch and the cylinder is trash,and it
wont be accepted as a core in most cases,so you will be out of money two
ways.
With both clips removed the dual pistons can be removed. The spring must then
be compressed the sheet metal cap pulled back and then the tiny roll pin must
be driven out just enough the separate the two pistons. You also have to be
very careful not to nick the spring steel clip that holds the piston
together.

With the seals replaced the spring must again be retracted and the pin driven
back into place.

Most of the work on the pistons is best done after fabricating some king of
jig to hold the parts in place.

The '63 to'67 and the later '75 on masters are no problem to rebuild, but
the non servo dual line system used from '68 to '74 is a real bear to do
yourself.
I ran my own shop for several years, and this is one job I just didn't want
to be bothered with.

Dennis Trowbridge
''79 Midget
'67 MGB/GT (wife's)