Re: timing

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:58:47 -0700
on 10/10/02 6:20 AM, Tim Baxter at baxter@gretschpages.com wrote:

>> Strikes me that it takes some sort of event to get the timing off of
> where
>> it
>> was when it was parked to the extent that it won't run at all.  I
> might be
>> more inclined to first assure a spark to the plugs and a flow of
> fuel to the
>> SUs, replace the fuel with new stuff, change the fuel filter, etc.
>
> I agree, but I do have reason to suspect (a) the timing might be off
> and (b) it's been messed with since it was parked. Already plan on
> checking all the stuff you mentioned, but it's good to be able to
> negate as many variables as possible.

Well, in that case you should start from first principles.

Turn the crank to line up the pulley mark with the TDC indicator. Make sure
cylinder #1 is on the compression stroke (I'm sure you can figure out how to
determine that).

Follow the spark plug lead from the #1 spark plug to the distributor cap,
noting its relative position. Remove the distributor cap and note where the
rotor is pointing -- it should be pointing roughly at the #1 lead, or a
little after it (5 to 10 degrees would be close enough).

If you aren't sure which direction is before or after, recall that the
firing order is 1-3-4-2. Or look up the direction of rotation in the manual
(I'm sorry, I can never remember when I'm not actually looking at it).

That should tell you whether the timing is close enough to have a chance to
fire up. After that you will have to determine if you are actually getting
spark, etc.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149