RE: New MGB List Member Seeks Advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New MGB List Member Seeks Advice
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:05:30 -0600
Doug-

Welcome!  Answers below:

> 1.  How do I subscribe to "MGB Driver" Magazine?

MGB Driver is the publication of the North American MGB Register (NAMGBR).
We site here:

http://www.namgbr.org/namgbr/index.html

To receive the magazine, you join NAMGBR.  You can do this via regular mail
or online from the web site.

> 2.  What other periodicals or published resources are good
> for a relatively
> neophyte MG enthusiast to read?

There are a couple of MG-specific magazines which your local news-stand
might carry, or perhaps a place like Borders.  You may wish to check those
out.  There is also a U.S. publication called British Car, which is
published every two months.  It covers all British cars, so it's not
MG-specific, but you might want to pick up a copy and see if it's of
interest to you.

> 3.  While I am not in the market for a car right now, I am
> very interested in
> gaining knowledge and getting "studied up" for the day when I
> do start my
> search - you know, things like what to look out for, the
> differences between
> so-called restored, and a real restoration, and other things
> to be aware of.
> I'm probably more interested in the later years --- '77 -
> '80.  I doubt I
> would be a total purist, and would be looking for ways to improve the
> reliablility and possibly performance without sacrificing too
> much of the
> originality.  Any tips?  websites to visit?  etc?

There is a local club in Cleveland, the Emerald Necklace MG Register (look
at the "Local Chapters" link on the NAMGBR site).  Hook up with them as
you'll be able to learn a lot that way.

You'll probably also want to view the MG Cars web site here:
http://www.mgcars.org.uk

Basically, since you want a late B, there will be a number to choose from,
and being rubber bumper, they won't be commanding as high of a price as the
earlier cars.