Re: Pulley timing marks

To: cl4rk2@worldnet.att.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulley timing marks
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:57:09 -0600
At 07:20 AM 12/2/02 -0500, Kent at cl4rk2@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>I've often wondered about the two timing marks on the crank pulley of my
>69 MGB/GT.  The mark that I time by is on the forward face of the pulley,
>but the other mark is about 120 degrees away (clockwise) and is a notch in
>the outer edges of the pulley.  I'm third owner and when I puchased in
>1983 was told the engine had been rebuilt.

Early MGB through the GF engine series (through 1967 I believe) had the
timing mark and pointer at the bottom of the pulley.  Later MGB had the
timing mark and pointer up top, like you say, about 120 degrees
later.  Original timing marks were notches in the edge of the front flange
of the pulley.  It sounds like you have an early timing cover with the
pointer at the bottom, and a later pulley with the mark up top.  A mark on
the forward face of the pulley might be scratched in or painted on  Maybe
your engine is a hybrid assembly.  Sounds like the pulley is 1968 or later
model, appropriate for your 1969 car, but the timing cover is 1967 or
earlier if the ponter is at the bottom.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and early MGB timing cover)
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg