Re: Manufacturer's Profits at Buyer's Expense

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Manufacturer's Profits at Buyer's Expense
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:40:17 -0800 (PST)
As someone who just had to purchase a new evil dolphin-choking SUV
because my old evil spotted-owl-maiming SUV had 250,000 miles on it,
I took advantage of GM's offer to pay 0% interest on a 5-year loan.
I suppose that was awfully greedy of me, taking advantage of
market conditions to soak them for thousands of dollars in missed
interest income over the life of the loan.  Oh well, that's the
freedom of the marketplace.  They didn't have to sell it and
I didn't have to buy it.

What interests me, as an economist by training, is the fact
that most people aren't willing to pay full markup for most
US passenger cars.  Car makers have to sell them at a steep
discount to sell them at all.  Seems like the US car companies
are able to build trucks (and pseudo-trucks) that people want,
but not cars.

Now that Porsche, BMW and Mercedes are all making SUVs, maybe
MG should turn out one, too.   :-)

--
David Breneman                   |       And on the tree a star,
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |       Of shiny Christmas gold.