MGA MkII grilles scarce?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA MkII grilles scarce?
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:15:54 -0800 (PST)
Moss' recent reintroduction of "real metal" MGA grilles prompts this
question.  My MGA 1500, currently under restoration, sports a MkII
grille that it picked up as a factory replacement part after suffering
a front-end impact (presumably some time in the 60s when all MG
dealers could get were the MkII grilles).  I had always thought that
a "real factory replacement" grille would be more authentic than a
plastic repro grille and intended to keep it.

But now that metal grilles are available, I'm revisiting this
issue and trying to decide if I should sell my grille to someone
seeking MkII grille and go for the Moss part, or stick to my
original plan.  Are authentic MkII grilles hard to find?  That is,
can I hope to sell it for enough to buy the repro part?  Or, being
newer, are the MkII grilles more common?  (Someone on this list
commented a while ago that he had 3 of them hanging in his garage.)
Can anybody tell me if the new Moss grilles have solved the
problem of improperly-angled slats obstructing airflow?  That
would be a big deciding factor in keeping the "wrong authentic"
grille as opposed to the "proper inauthentic" one.  Thanks!

--
David Breneman                   | "Before there were CDs there were
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |  records, and before there were