Car won't start, dies, or runs fine (Please help)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Car won't start, dies, or runs fine (Please help)
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:33:16 -0400
Some days my car starts and runs fine.

Some days it starts and then dies suddenly, like someone just pulled
the plug. And then won't restart.

And some days the car won't start at all. The fuel pump clicks away,
fuel fills the (clear) filter, the engine cranks, but just refuses to
start. There's the smell of gasoline from the exhaust. So fuel's
getting in there, it's just not burning.

I pulled and reattached the leads to the coil. Then it started. It
started again the next morning. But wouldn't start in the afternoon. So
I checked the lead from the coil to the distributor, and there didn't
appear to be a spark.  My guess is the coil is on its way out. (Do they
go bad?) Any other ideas before I start replacing things?

I've got a Petronix electronic ignition, fairly new leads and plugs,
and the distributor cap and rotor look good (no cracks or evidence of
arcing).

Please help. My wife's is getting tired of having to share a car.
Thanks in advance,

Joseph
67 MGB Roadster