Re: targanewfoundland. Potential LBC content

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: targanewfoundland. Potential LBC content
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:01:41 +1030
Aubrey Schneider wrote:

> Apparently this type of event, which is run over a week, has its roots down
> under.
>
> Eric maybe you know about it.

Although we would love to claim credit for it I think we can only claim
to have "re-created" it.  Check out the Targa Tasmania website:

http://www.targa.org.au

"Targa is Italian for plate, and the event borrows its name from the
famous classic rally of the early part of this century when Vincenzo
Florio conducted a great motoring event around the island of Sicily.
This event ran for 69 years, from 1906 to 1974."

A great "tarmac" rally event - this year one of the guest entrants was
(in)famous F1 and race commentator Murray Walker who 'navigated' one of
the competition vehicles and did the commentary for the televised
special of the event.

Octagon - the people who run Targa Tasmania - were instrumental is
getting Targa Newfoundland up and running and have been employed as
consultants to the organisers, so you will find it similar to the
Tasmania event.

Although it is a great event its emphasis (public emphasis) is too much
towards the "modern classic" competition cars for my liking (with the
seven time winner a modern Porsche against the odd Evo and now the new
Holden Monaro - soon to be re-badged a Pontiac GTO for the US market).

I prefer the event I work on each year, the Classic Adelaide Rally which
emphasis 'classic' sports cars.  Again a tarmac rally, it is run on
closed public roads throughout the magnificent hills and close environs
of the city of Adelaide, South Australia.

http://www.classicadelaide.com.au/index2.asp

What a fantastic display of classic motorsport (with many rare and
exotic entries from all over the world - and rare and exotic drivers
too, like last years entry driven by Bobby Rahal :-)  My only bugbear is
that few MGs seem to get involved - last year at least we had one MGBGT
and a Midget to cheer.

It isn't easy closing different large sections of public roads for hours
at a time on four consecutive days, but if you hear that someone wants
to do it near you GET INVOLVED.  They get local car clubs to take charge
of various stages (under the command of the very experienced rally
control) - putting them all through training and licensing the members
in their various areas of responsibility.

Our MG Car Club did so well last year that they are getting us to do two
special stages this year (I have worked most positions but these days
they have dragged me in as Deputy Stage Commander).  We massively
promote the fact the the MG Car Club of SA is running the stage and the
MG entrants love it :-)

Did I say DON'T GET ME STARTED?  Classic Adelaide isn't too far away.  I
am already revved up for it and we are already preparing to win the
trophy for "Best Run Stage" this year :-)

--
Eric
'68 MGB MkII