New Gas Tank In -- Huh?!?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Gas Tank In -- Huh?!?
From: MGTD1952@cs.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 06:06:05 EDT
Got the new gas tank installed on the BGT yesterday between the raindrops.

Looks great -- new tank, Moss fitting kit and sending unit.  Changed the fuel
hoses while I was at it, as the hose from the pump to the fuel line was very
brittle and ready to blow.  When I got the tank and new sending unit hooked
up, I turned the ignition, and was pleased to see my gas gauge needle rise up
the "F".  IT WORKS!!!!

Wait a minute, there's no fuel in the tank, why register as Full?!? I fiddled
with the sending unit a bit, made sure the float was not caught up (it
wasn't).

OK, so why is the brand new sending unit telling the gauge to register full
when the tank is empty?

Steve in NJ