Re: questions re MG

To: "Mgs@autox.team.net" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: questions re MG
From: JAMES SCHULTE <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
Listers
Here is Mark Johnson's story on his 1950 engine with cross flow head in his
1980 MGBLE  Thought you all might find it interesting.
Jim
70B
69C

MarkMGBLE@aol.com wrote:
Well I bought the book " How to Power Tune your MGB" and I followed the
author's advice. I bored out the Block 60 over, Had the block dipped to clean
it,
bought flat top 60 over pistons, The Moss Mid range Cam, had the lower end
balanced, new timing chain, new oil pump, Aluminum Fly Wheel, Mallory dual
point
distributor, a Jacobs high energy ignition modual, cross flow head and had it
polished, bought 2 -1 3/4 SU's rebuilt them and I had my carburation. This
eliminated the dead spot which showed up with the down draft weber in this
configuration.
The over drive in my car has been wonderful. It works well with the
increased horses and never has been a problem. I have a 5- speed Camaro trans
in my V-8 B and I prefer to drive the Over Drive Trans.
The book was very helpful with building the engine with tips like "
How to degree in the cam " . This important to get the optimum performance from
the new cam.
The result is a very flexible reliable engine. I have put 50 K on it
and driven it all over the US to shows. It is very fast but fussy about fuel
octane and the timing must be spot on.
I have installed the 1950 engine in my friends car with a down draft
Weber and the car runs well. It is real strong in the 2500 to 4000 rpm range.
With the standard cam it runs out of juice about 4500. With a big bore block
they say that it will flex when warm and lose some hp because because of this.
The only evivdence was one of Jim and my friends bored his block to almost
2100 ( Lotus bore) we went at it a little and my car would pull away from his
even as we topped out. He owned a repair shop in the UK and knows what he is
doing. The book was helpful in making choices of which combo to go for.
I am used to mine which is a unique piece which in tune will pull
strongly to 6000 rpms. This comparison is skewed a little because its been
several
years since I have driven a standard car.
I think any one with the standard engine and makes the changes you are about
to do would be happy with the 1950 bore and the mild - fast road cam. I made
the changes in stages so i could see some small benifit from each one.
That's the beauty of this engine, if you do the lower end you can
just add on to hearts delight until to run out of money or will.

Good luck
Mark